Uzhunnu vada (Medu vada)
Urad dal -1 Cup
Rice flour/ urad dal powder - 1 Tbsp
Shallot - 4(Finely chopped)
Green chilli -2(finely chopped)
Ginger - 1/2 Tsp
Pepper -1 Tsp(Crushed)
Curry leaves - Chopped
Baking soda - 1 Pinch(Optional)
- Soak urad dal for 3 hours.
- Grind the urad dal and salt without adding water. If unable to grind add a very little water. If it looks like a bit loose then add some urad dal powder or rice flour.
- To this batter add chopped shallot,green chilli,ginger,crushed pepper,curry leaves and baking soda(if using).
- Mix it well and keep it for 15 min.
- Make a ball with the batter. Flatten it and make a hole in the center.
- Heat oil in pan. Keep it in a medium flame. Fry the vadas till it becomes golden brown.Drain on paper towel.
- Vada is ready. Serve hot with Chutney.
Coconut green chili chutney
Coconut - 1 cup grated
Green chili -2
Red chili -1
Urad dal -1 Tsp
- Grind together coconut,Shallot green chilli,salt with water according to the desired consistency.
- Heat oil in a pan .Add mustard seeds and let it pop.Add Red chilli and curry leaves.
- Pour the seasoning into the chutney.
- Serve it with Dosa, Idly, Vada.